In this straightforward exercise in getting you prepared, our qualified and experienced paramedical staff will put your mind at ease. Your pre-operative examination at Dhami Eye Care will include:
- A comprehensive eye examination,
- An assessment of your refractive error,
- A computerized mapping of the shape of your cornea,
- A detailed fundus examination,
- A personal consultation with Refractive Surgeon.
This meticulous and thorough process is crucial in determining your suitability and safety for LASIK.
Please also remember these pointers:
- If you are currently using contact lenses, please abstain from wearing them for 2 weeks for hard/rigid gas permeable lens and 1 week for soft lens prior to the consultation.
- Please bring your most recent pair of eyeglasses for the consultation.
- Your consultation will take approximately 3 hours, as it will include a series of comprehensive tests. Kindly take this into consideration when you make plans for the day.
- Please do not plan to drive immediately after the consultation as you may experience blurred vision due to dilation of your pupils. You might want to consider bringing a pair of sunglasses to help shield your eyes from excessive glare.
DAY OF LASIK SURGERY
You are only human, so ‘it’s not uncommon to feel anxious about your surgery. On your arrival at the Dhami Eye Care Clinic every effort will be made to make you feel comfortable and relaxed. Our nursing staff will then familiarize you with the procedure.
The whole process from registration through to surgery and final discharge takes approximately 2 hours.
Prior to this day, we will furnish you with a lits of do’s and don’ts:
- Please do not wear soft contact lenses for 3 days and hard or rigid gas permeable contact lenses for 1 week prior to the surgery date.
On the day of the surgery, please:-
- Do not use any make-up, perfume or hair care products
- Bring extra warm clothing as the laser suite can be cold
- Bring along the Laser Request Form.
- Continue to take any medication you require for medical conditions such as hypertension and diabetes.
- Fasting is not required and you can have your normal meals.
- If possible, arrange for someone to accompany you home after the procedure as you may be sedated.
- Do not drive immediately after the procedure. Please arrange for private transport or take a taxi home.
PRK or LASIK surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure with no need for admission afterwards. You will be ushered to the preparation room in the laser suite.
You may be given a mild sedative or you may ask for one to help you relax. The nurse will then clean your eye and administer the anaesthetic eye drops to prepare you for the procedure. All the information required to correct your refractive error is programmed into the computer controlling the excimer laser by the surgeon.
You will be positioned on a bed under the operating microscope where the procedure will take place. Throughout the procedure, your surgeon will be constantly talking to you, explaining every step so that you will know what to expect.
You might feel some discomfort and pressure on the eye but there will be no pain.
Both PRK and LASIK procedures are usually completed within 10 to 15 minutes.
LASIK PROCESS – POST LASIK SURGERY CARE
After your surgery, every care is taken to make sure you are comfortable. Our nursing staff will be vigilant, attending to your needs. After your surgery is completed, eye drops will be administered to your eye and the eye will then be covered with a protective shield or goggle.
If you had LASIK surgery done, you will need to rest within the confines of the clinic for approximately 30 minutes. Your doctor will then check on your eye to ensure that the corneal flap is properly positioned before you leave the clinic.
Following your surgery remembers these pointers:-
(Please wait 5 minutes between using the different eye drops)
- Begin using the antibiotic eye drops 3 times until bedtime. On the following day, continue using the eye as directed by your doctor.
- Use the eye lubricants (Genteal/ Refresh tears / Tears Naturale ) once every hour untill bedtime on the first day. Thereafter, you may use these lubricants as and when you experience irritation or dryness of the eye.
- Do not rub the operated eye.
- When you are outdoors. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from bright sunlight.
- Do not wear eye make-up for 1 week.
- Do not swim or take part in water sports for 2 weeks after your procedure. All other activities may be resumed after 1 week.
- You may shower but avoid getting water, soap or shampoo into the operated eye for 1 week other the procedure.
- If you play contact sports or racquet games, wear protective eyewear for 1 month after surgery.
You are advised to rest for 1 to 2 days after the LASIK procedure. The doctor if required can give medical leave.
It is normal for you to experience some discomfort and tearing but that usually diminishes with the first day. Your doctor will want to examine your eye the day after your procedure. You may then be able to return to work.
It is imperative on your part to keep all scheduled appointments and to use the eye drops as instructed in order to reduce the chances of any postoperative complication from occurring.
The refractive power of your treated eye and your vision may vary for the first few weeks as part of the normal healing process. Your vision should progressively improve as your eye heals and stable vision is usually attained within the first 3 months.
Once your vision is stable, the treatment is permanent.